Nov 21, 2010

Review: Love, Cajun Style by Diane Les Becquets

I know i should be reviewing new books coming out and things like that but i want to get books i have read before and liked a lot and that you guys might like over with so... here we go...


Title: Love, Cajun Style
Author: Diane Les Becquets
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Children's Books
Date Published: Aug. 25th 2005
Genre: Young Adult
My Rating:




  


For Lucy Beauregard, each day in her sleepy southern town looks a lot like the next – days of riding her bicycle and skinny dipping with her friends, delivering flowers to the wonderfully odd folks in her town, and listening to her mama dish out her Loo-zee-anna gospel of wisdom.
Falling in love isn’t something she has planned. In fact, there are a whole lot of things she hasn’t planned, like her two best friends getting their first tastes of love, or the attraction her very-married mama seems to have for another man, or the confusing flurry in her own heart stirred by a handsome and much older stranger. And then there’s the arrival of Dewey, a boy unlike anyone she’s ever known. In one sweltering summer, Lucy not only discovers herself but soars into love, Cajun style.
In this novel brimming with uproarious characters and deeply immersed in the romantic allure of the South, Diane Les Becquets serves up a humorous helping of love, growing up, the resilience of friendship, and – oh, yes – uses for hot sauce that are sure to make you blush!


  This story's setting is a little different from what you might be used to, in the sweltering town of Sweetbay, Louisiana. This book mentioned the usual important topics like love and friendship which you might think is really cliché but the author uses it in a different way. Lucy, the main character seems so innocent and you just find yourself feeling bad for all the troubles coming towards her, she is forced to grow up instantly. Lucy believes her mom is having an affair and at the same time she finds herself being "part" of an affair. When Lucy needs her two best friends the most, they also find themselves in their own little troubles. The story is fun but at the same time serious even though the title makes you believe it is all about romance, it isn't. The author adds many other components to the story, not just romance.
    I have to admit the ending was not as good, it made the story stretch and it felt never ending, but like i said it was only the ending.


   I got this book at a bargain price, Barnes & Noble was having this sale and I just couldn't help myself from buying a bunch of books and so I got this one along with other ones. I admit once I got it I had it on my shelve for the longest time until at some point I ran out of books to read and had no choice but to read it. I read it in a day and must say I was impressed and well... i realized you really can't judge a book by its cover. This story was different from what i was used to reading and i really enjoyed it. This book should be given a try because you might love it just like i did. This story is one of my favorites.

I Rate It: 4.5/5 ... because of the ending.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds good! I really like the cover, but if I were to judge it based on that alone, I would think it was a light, cutesy read.

    Glad you enjoyed it more than you thought you would! I definitely like being pleasantly surprised by books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, and yea i really was surprised by this book!

    ReplyDelete

Anything you want to know or talk about email me or just comment below :)