Nov 25, 2010

Review: Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) by Charlaine Harris

Title: Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1)
Author: Charlaine Harris
Publisher: Ace Books
Date Published: May 1st 2001
Genre: Fantasy, Mystery, Romance
My Rating:














Sookie Stackhouse is a small-time cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana. She's quiet, keeps to herself, and doesn't get out much. Not because she's not pretty. She is. It's just that, well, Sookie has this sort of "disability." She can read minds. And that doesn't make her too dateable. And then along comes Bill. He's tall, dark, handsome--and Sookie can't hear a word he's thinking. He's exactly the kind of guy she's been waiting for all her life...

But Bill has a disability of his own: he's a vampire with a bad reputation. He hangs out with a seriously creepy crowd, all suspected of --big surprise-- murder. And when one of Sookie's coworkers is killed, she fears she's next...


Many might know about these books because of the TV series True Blood. I heard about the TV series from a friend and I loved it but i didn't know there were books on it until the end of the first season and even then I told myself I wasn't going to read them, but then there was a moment where I just couldn't help it and I just had to go and buy the first book Dead Until Dark.


I have to admit i really liked these books even if many say it's trash. I hate to say this but this story reminds me of The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer but in a more mature and a for "grown-ups" way because let me be the one to tell you, they are pretty graphic just like the TV series. 
  Sookie is the main character, and a very likable one who is believed to be a normal human but can somehow read minds. She is innocent and a sweetheart and doesn't have a sex life until vampire Bill shows up and she falls in love, but the story isn't just about their romance. My favorite part about this series is how the vampires have "come out" ... out of the coffin, in other words they have revealed themselves to the world after a synthetic blood has been invented, but now there is a lot of prejudice against vampires. Not only has the world found out about vampires but they have found out about how special their blood is, that a vampire's blood has certain power and can improve the consumer's sex life, this brings many humans to drain vampires and sell their blood. You meet many interesting characters throughout the story for example Eric, who is one of my personal favorites, though i don't want to mention much about him without ruining the rest of the books.


  I am on the fifth book and I pretty much stopped there, i needed a break from them because they do tend to get a little exhausting. I am not saying that they are boring because they really are full of adventure, but too much of Sookie's (main character)  obstacles to living a normal life can get tiring... hey maybe it's just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anything you want to know or talk about email me or just comment below :)