Nov 1, 2011

The Water Wars by Cameron Stracher


Title: The Water Wars
Author: Cameron Stracher
Pages: Hardcover 240 pages
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Date Published: January 1st 2011
Genre: Young Adult, Dystopia
My Rating: 








Goodreads

Vera and her brother, Will, live in the shadow of the Great Panic, in a country that has collapsed from environmental catastrophe. Water is hoarded by governments, rivers are dammed, and clouds are sucked from the sky. But then Vera befriends Kai, who seems to have limitless access to fresh water. When Kai suddenly disappears, Vera and Will set off on a dangerous journey in search of him-pursued by pirates, a paramilitary group, and greedy corporations. Timely and eerily familiar, acclaimed author Cameron Stracher makes a stunning YA debut that's impossible to forget. 




"Let us pray that the world which Cameron Stracher has invented in The Water Wars is testament solely to his pure, wild, and brilliant imagination, and not his ability to see the future. I was parched just reading it."-Laurie David, academy award winning producer of An Inconvenient Truth, and author of The Down to Earth Guide to Global Warming

My Review

When I first read what this book was about I was eager to read it until I actually got to reading it then I had a lot of thoughts on it, some not so great. I will start of about how it made me feel… thirsty, really thirsty. Stracher made it possible for me to crave water, the way he explained the shortage of water and the way the characters were described, lips chapped and at the point of dehydration, I have to say it was pretty intense, made me think about real life and how we might not be using water properly. That was probably the good part of the book, how the author can make you feel a certain way and so extremely. Now I want to talk about the so-so portion of the book. There was so much action, if you are into action filled book, this might be for you. In my opinion there was way too much action, so much that it was really improbable, which was disappointing because the topic of the lack of water was so realistic it was even easy to connect then you get all this action that you get in corny movies in which you think to yourself, “how does that happen? Is that even possible? No one can have that much luck. If it was real life they would have already been dead.” A lot of action in which I waited for something important to happen but nothing ever did, it just went from action to more action and so on. This book was not exactly made for me but it was not so bad.
I recommend this book to anyone into action filled stories and into the dystopian genre.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the honest review!!

    Brittany Roshelle

    The Write Stuff

    ReplyDelete

Anything you want to know or talk about email me or just comment below :)